Frequently Asked Questions
We hope we can answer any other questions you have here, however if you want to talk through anything else about Dulux London Revolution we are always on the end of the phone
What date is the event taking place?
- Dulux London Revolution 2019 is taking place on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th May.
- The Ultra 2019 is taking place on Saturday 11th May only.
What are the start/ basecamp/ finish addresses?
As Dulux London Revolution is a loop around London the start and finish addresses are the same.
- Start & Finish Lee Valley Athletics Centre, 61 Meridian Way, Edmonton, London, N9 0AR
- Basecamp: Windsor Racecourse, Maidenhead Rd, Windsor, SL4 5EZ
- The Ultra Start & Finish: Lee Valley Athletics Centre, 61 Meridian Way, Edmonton, London, N9 0AR
What bike do I need?
You don’t need to have the latest carbon fibre racing bike to complete the Dulux London Revolution. However, you do want one which is comfortable, safe and light enough that you can cover the distance efficiently. The best option would be a bike with thin wheels such as a racing, touring or commuting hybrid bike.
Do I have to wear a helmet?
Yes. Safety out on the road is paramount to us so we cannot allow you to ride without one.
What kit should I wear?
At the very least we recommend some decent padded cycling shorts, which you can get from any good bicycle shop. If the weather turns, which we all know is a possibility in English weather, you will want to be able to layer up. We’ll be sending out a full kit list prior to the event but as a summary you should have the following:
Helmet (No helmet, no ride)
Cycling shoes or trainers
Short or long sleeve sports top
Is there an age limit?
- Dulux London Revolution: Riders must be aged 16 years or above on the 11th May 2019 to be allowed to enter. Riders under the age of 18 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for insurance reasons.
- The Ultra: Riders must be aged 18 years or above on the 11th May 2019 to be allowed to enter.
Can teams enter?
We welcome teams on the race! Please see below for more info.
Teams of friends: As we need all medical and dietary info from each participant we need each individual to register individually. There will be a section on the registration form that allows you to write in your team name, so that we can link you with your other team mates. This is important so that we know to put you in the same camping zone for the event.
Corporate teams: If you are interested in entering a corporate team, please contact us at email@example.com. We can invoice your company for the places to the individuals don’t have to pay on registration when signing up. We will also let you know how we can support your pre-event experience on elements such as kit design and training days.
How to pay?
You must pay the full amount for a place upon signing up to the ride. To do this now, please visit the Enter Now page. This can be done by paying by debit card or credit card on the online system.
If I cancel, can I get a refund?
The entry fee is non-refundable for both Dulux London Revolution and The Ultra so, in the unfortunate event that you can no longer make the event due to injury or any other circumstances you will be unable to recover this fee.
However, there is the option to do a “name change” and transfer your place to another participant for an admin charge of £20. Alternatively, you can defer your place on the event to 2020, also for an admin charge of £20. Please refer to the section of the FAQs dedicated to this, and have a look at our event rules and regulations for full details (located at the bottom of the FAQs).
The deadline for a name changes is Friday 3rd May 2019. The deadline for a deferrals is Friday 12th April 2019.
ON THE DAY
Can I park at the start?
- Dulux London Revolution: Parking will be available at the race start in Lee Valley. This MUST be pre-booked and all permits visible on the dashboard on the day. Keep an eye on the monthly comms for the link to book this.
- The Ultra: Parking will be available in the vicinity of the race start/finish in Lee Valley. This MUST be pre-booked and all permits visible on the dashboard on the day. Keep an eye on the monthly comms for the link to book this.
What time do I need to get there?
- Dulux London Revolution 2019: On the Saturday morning we will be operating a staggered start system, whereby you will be allocated a time slot between 6.45am and 8.15am at Lee Valley. Please make sure you arrive in plenty of time (around 30 minutes) to get yourself ready before setting off. On the Sunday you will be able to set off in your own time between 7.30am and 9am.
- The Ultra: On the Saturday morning we will be setting you off from Lee Valley between 6.00am and 6.30am. Please make sure you arrive in plenty of time (around 30 minutes) to get yourself ready before setting off.
How do I transport my bags from the start to the finish?
- Dulux London Revolution: We’ll transport your bags for you from the start to finish each day. In your registration pack you will be given a luggage label with your rider number on it to attach to any luggage so it is easy to find at the end of the day. You’ll just need to drop bags with us in the morning and they will be there for you to pick them up at the other end.
- The Ultra: We will look after your luggage whilst you complete the 300km. You’ll just need to drop bags with us in the morning and then pick them up at end.
How fast do I have to cycle?
- Dulux London Revolution: Each day the route will be open for a 12 hour period each day. Therefore, you need to be able to cycle around 9mph as a minimum. If this sounds like a stretch for you, we recommend following the event training plan provided to you as part of the package.
- The Ultra Ride: Each day the route will be open for a 13 hour period each day. Therefore, you need to be able to cycle around 15mph as a minimum.
Will there be mechanical support on the road? Should I bring a puncture repair kit?
We will have mechanics out on the route to help with any significant issues, but we do ask all riders to bring a small toolkit and to be able to fix their own punctures. The kit that we recommend to bring along includes the following:
- Puncture repair kit
- Spare inner tube
- a couple of tyre levers
- A pump
We strongly recommend learning how to use this equipment prior to the event, there are many online tutorials on this subject to help you along.
What are the start times?
- Dulux London Revolution: We will be managing staggered starts on Saturday morning, between 6.45 and 8.15am, to ensure a safe departure of all cyclists onto the route. The waves will be allocated according to the average speed that you stated on your registration form, with fastest riders leaving first due to safety reasons.
- On the Sunday riders can set off any time between 7.30-9am.
- The Ultra: We will be managing starts on Saturday morning, between 6.00am and 6.30am, to ensure a safe departure of all cyclists onto the route.
Do I need to provide my own tent?
No. We will set up your tent so it will be waiting for you when you arrive at basecamp. We also provide a blow up sleeping mat. You do however need to provide a sleeping bag.
What time will I arrive at basecamp?
- Dulux London Revolution: This depends on how fast you can cycle, however we usually expect riders to be arriving from around 2pm onwards.
- The Ultra: This depends on how fast you can cycle, however we expect riders to be arriving at the finish from around 4pm onwards.
Are friends and family allowed to visit basecamp?
Yes, we encourage it! Spectators are allowed into the festival area at basecamp and there will be bars and concessions where they can buy food and drinks. All non-overnight riders will need to be off the basecamp site by 10.00pm.
What is the basecamp address?
The basecamp is located at Windsor Racecourse. Those that are staying off-site are recommended to search for hotels nearby using this address: Windsor Racecourse, Maidenhead Road, Windsor SL4 5JJ.
Are there pit stops on the route?
- Dulux London Revolution: There are two pit stops per day providing free snacks, hot and cold drinks and facilities. As participants start coming through these can get crowded so we ask that riders don’t meet friends and family at these points.
- The Ultra: There are five pit stops throughout the day providing free snacks, hot and cold drinks and facilities. As participants start coming through these can get crowded so we ask that riders don’t meet friends and family at these points.
Are the roads closed?
No. The route is set along quieter roads so there is less traffic (and they’re more beautiful). You must still cycle sensibly and safely and obey the Highway Code in order to avoid accidents.
How long do I need to train for?
This is very much dependent on how much cycling you do currently but we will provide you with a 16 week training plan (or a 18-week training plan for The Ultra) and comprehensive training advice to ensure you are in the best possible shape in May.
Why are we not going up Box Hill?
It is a requirement of the National Trust that all riders be through the busy Box Hill section by 12pm which would not be possible, as Box Hill sits around 60 miles into the route. Don’t worry, if it’s climbs and views that you are looking for, we’ve still got plenty of those for you to tackle.
I want to find out more details about the Ultra
Please click here to read our full FAQs on the Ultra.
IF YOU CAN NO LONGER ATTEND
What happens if I want to cancel my place?
We operate a 7-day cooling off period – during the first 7-days after registration your fee if fully-refundable should you change your mind. After this point your entry fee becomes non-refundable under any circumstances. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations for further details.
We do provide some options for you if you cannot attend, and they are listed in the following sections.
If you wish to cancel your place due to injury or any other circumstances, unfortunately your entry fee is non refundable. We have listed below your Deferral option (will incur an admin fee).
We have a few options for you if you cannot attend the event. One is to defer to the following year. The others are listed in the next section of the FAQ’s.
If you would like to postpone your entry until the following year, we kindly ask that you email or call the team. Please note that this will incur an admin fee of £20, but will GUARANTEE you a place on the following year’s event. Please note, you may only defer once, so if you have already deferred the previous year, this option no longer applies to you. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations for further details.
Registration Transfer Options
If you wish to cancel your place due to injury or any other circumstances, unfortunately your entry fee is non refundable. We have listed below your Transfer option (will incur an admin fee).
Transfer your place to another participant. In order to transfer entry to another individual this must take place before midday on Friday 3rd May 2019. These must be made payable to the Event Organisers by the outgoing participant. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations for further details.